SC - Berries

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Wed May 21 07:57:00 PDT 1997

"Greg Lindahl" <lindahl at pbm.com> writes:
> Anyway, here's Cariadoc's comment:
> There are both old world and new world cranberries, but "the commercial
> cranberry ... is an American native." (McGee) The word "cranberry" seems to
> period, but individual berries would look noticably different from their old
> We do not, however, know of any period recipes using either berry.

I beg to differ (especiallay with Cariadoc ;) but if you go back to my
post a few days ago:
>berry candy (66)(bilberries, rasberries, currants, strawberries,
>cranberries, "or any other kind of berry".

so we have at least one recipe!  Ok, it's for "Fruit Roll-ups" but
it's still a recipe. :)  Since Domestroi seems to have been written in
mid 1500's, it *could* refer to new world cranberries...no way of
knowing.

It really is quite the useful book ;)

so, anyone interested in working on a "free" translation of the Domestroi?
I'll have to find a faxsimile and start typing in the cyrilic.  (yes,
i know it's already been translated, so has Orchesography, but i'm
interested in the *free* dissimination of information, and would love
to have this reference available online.)

In Service to the People of the Society,
Filip of the Marche