Re(2): SC - Roasted Butter

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed May 21 10:59:54 PDT 1997

On Tuesday, May 20, Philip said:

"Sue Wensel" <swensel at brandegee.lm.com> writes:
> While honey is a popular SCA-alternate for sugar in recipes, I am
> beginning to doubt how much it really was used in period recipes.

i sound like i'm beating a dead horse, "In the Domestroi...." nearly
every recipe which calls for sweetening, specifies honey.
<<<<<<

I suspect this is an excellant example of regional differances. I
believe you said that the Domestroi was Russian. I think honey was
one of the exports of the northern regions along with amber and
furs. While sugar cane came from the warmer, southern regions in
Europe or elsewhere. Thus the northerners could be expected to
use honey rather than sugar because it was more available and
cheaper for them.

I wonder why the bees would be more common north since I would
think they would prefer the warmer southern climate, but perhaps
it is the amount of forest area that counts rather than the
weather. Or perhaps I'm incorrect about the exports of honey
from the north. Anyone?

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com