SC - Chicken usage

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu May 22 06:42:31 PDT 1997

> Because the majority, if not all, of period recipe books were written for
> noble households, would not the proliferation of chicken recipes indicate
> that they were in fact not a common food item? Case in point would be the
> nobleman's desire to impress his guests with his wealth by serving  as many
> exotics as possible. What better way than to serve chicken. Just a tho't but
> , IMHO, not an unreasonable one. Conversely the less often an item is
> mentioned, the more "common" it may have been. Responce?

No, I don't agree.  There is also a proliferation of beef recipes, and pork.
I think the assumption that because it was in a cookbook it was for the upper
classes is erroneous.

> Lord Ras (Uduido at aol.com)

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com