Re(2): SC - Sugar, flour and Bread - answer is long

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Thu May 22 08:51:48 PDT 1997

> >Because peanuts are legumes, most people who are allergic are
> >allergic to one or the other--*either* peanuts or "tree nuts".
> >I've never personally met anyone allergic to both.
>
> >Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
>
> However, though this is useful to know, I don't know that it impacts
> medieval cooking as I don't think peanuts were used. I believe they
> were little used until George Washington Carver's research and
> promotion of the peanut in the 19th century in the American south.

It's an FYI, as much as anything.  I was more of less randomly
handing out data points, precisely because I get asked at feasts,
"Hey, I saw you eating a Reese's at practice; how come you're
suddenly allergic to my walnut chicken and almond biscotti?"

I'm aware of the peanut gig, and was not proposing them as an
ingredient in any of our kitchens; it was more of a discussion point
on the scope and nature of nut allergies.

Does that help?

Berengaria

jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
University of Denver