SC - Re: pork and beef

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Sat May 24 07:25:53 PDT 1997

Greetings,

Thank you for posting your message, it has jogged a few wires and brought out
some memories.  I had completely forgotten about the basket hives.  Also, in
some parts of the world you would find hives made from bamboo.

A few notes:

1. If you aren't heavy handed the beekeepers could skim a little off the top
of the log hives.  This was done quite often in the Appalachian parts of this
country in modern times.  I don't think period beekeepers would have failed
to discover the idea of taking some as you need it and trying to keep damage
to the hive to a minimum.

2.  Modern beekeepers always use wax impression combs to "guide" the
instincts of the bees into building combs in straight lines.  The foundation,
as it is called, is made from beeswax.

3.  The use of queen excluders is something of a controvercial issue.  They
have some effect on keeping brood from being upt into comb reserved for
honey, but the workers dislike them, and it can effect production of honey.
 I personally don't use them.

4.  Pollen is the food for the brood.  The workers gather it and place it
where they will.  Most of it goes where it is needed(near the brood).  But,
the workers will put it wherever they feel they should.  So, even with a
queen excluder in place you will find pollen stored in the same comb as
honey.  It is unavoidable.  It can be bitter, but personally I don't mind a
little of it in there.

Thank you for indulging me,

One question before I go; does anyone out there have a source for heather
honey in quantities suitable for brewing?  If so please let me know.

Michael Farrell