SC - honey vs. sugar

Baaastard@aol.com Baaastard at aol.com
Sun May 25 06:34:09 PDT 1997

On Fri, 23 May 1997 09:18:00 -0400 (EDT) Uduido at aol.com writes:
>Also a comment was made on pork and beef recipes being common. This is
>correct but NOBILITY could afford herds of these animals. However, the
>average Joe would have had a "family cow" which would not have been
>slaughtered for meat. And he perhaps would have owned 2 or three pigs
>which
>would have been fattened and put up for winter usage.
>
>Lord Ras (Uduido at aol.com)

Actually, I remember from one of my college classes (long ago, in a
Kingdom far, far away) one of the professors said that the reason that
there were so many fast days was the Church's attempt to prevent the
"silly common man" from killing off all his breeding stock over the long,
hungry winter. Supposedly they killed off the weak stock that wouldn't
make it through winter and ate what they could and preserved the rest,
but saved at least one strong male and female to breed again in the
spring. The fast days were just a way to make sure that hunger didn't get
in the way of good intentions. I can't remember which class it was, or
which time period, country, class, etc. he (or she) was talking about.
That was a long time ago! I don't know how true this is, but considering
some of the other things the Church did, it wouldn't especially surprise
me. Anyone else ever heard this?

Julleran