SC - Ginger ale (as an offshoot from Kvass)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat May 31 00:52:21 PDT 1997

<<
 Take two Quinces, and two or three Burre rootes, and a potaton, and pare
 your Potaton, and scrape your rootes and put them into a quart of wine, and

     Hummm, anyone have a good ID for the"Burre" roots? Could this be
Burdock, I wonder? I actually have some plants of these in the garden,
although they are going to seed at the moment, so I doubt the roots are very
good. I was pleased to find that they are generally a fairly bland, pleasant
tasting item, with none of the bitterness in their aroma (*Or* in their
leaves! Blegh, those are nasty!). If they were more prolific they would be
very good to use instead of turnips, which many folks dislike, in period
soups, etc. But unfortunately the plants are huge, while the roots often are
relatively skinny, if very long, so the yeild-to-space ratio is too small to
be efficient in a small garden like mine. I'll probably only grow them in
small quanities for medicinal use after this.

Ldy Diana Fiona O'Shera
Vulpine Reach, Meridies