SC - Two questions...

Philip W. Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 2 07:25:55 PDT 1997

Lasairina at aol.com wrote:

> Actually, preserving garlic cloves in oil is okay, and the oil is wonderful
> for cooking after the cloves are used up.  Graham Kerr uses it frequently in
> recipes.  I, too, would be a little leary if it fizzed, though.  Can oil
> ferment?

Not as such. Garlic can, though. One of the things you need to watch out
for is the fact that garlic can apparently harbor botulism, which is why
the commercial processed garlic in refrigerated jars is packed with
either citric or ascorbic acid. I was interested in the fact that a
comment was made about garlic reacting with vinegar: I know some
interesting colors are sometimes produced this way, but it hadn't
occurred to me this might be dangerous.

I have had good results with cooking peeled garlic cloves VERY gently in
olive oil, without browning, until soft. While still hot I pour it into
a sterile canning jar and seal it up. This will keep for a reasonably
long time; I would guess six months or so, or longer if refrigerated.
The oil is good for just about anything that might use olive oil or
garlic, and the garlic is exceptional spread on home-made croutons (not
that silly bread kibble McDonald's put on Caesar salad).

Adamantius