SC - Scrod and Hake eaters unite!

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Mon May 5 09:04:00 PDT 1997

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Seafood Products
Research Center (and a hunch based on something I heard my Newfie Dad
say):

   scrod:  Vernacular for Atlantic Cod, scientific name Gadus morhua
               Also used to refer to Haddock (the other good kind of
Newfie fish) as Scrod Haddock, scientific name Melanogrammus
aeglefinus.

   hake:   Vernacular for Whiting, which comes in the Southern Atlantic, Argentinian and South American
varieties.  Scientific name Merluccius hubbsi.

I like scrod very well, thank you.  I have never had (to my
knowledge) hake.

Do I win a prize?

Claricia (who just had to know if she was right when it rang a bell)
Claricia Nyetgale
Canton of Caldrithig
Barony of Skraeling Althing
Ealdormere  (still mostly in the Middle Kingdom)