SC - Scrod and Hake eaters unite!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon May 5 14:28:01 PDT 1997

Erin Kenny wrote:

> According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Seafood Products
> Research Center (and a hunch based on something I heard my Newfie Dad
> say):
>
>    scrod:  Vernacular for Atlantic Cod, scientific name Gadus morhua
>                Also used to refer to Haddock (the other good kind of
> Newfie fish) as Scrod Haddock, scientific name Melanogrammus
> aeglefinus.
>
>    hake:   Vernacular for Whiting, which comes in the Southern Atlantic, Argentinian and South American
> varieties.  Scientific name Merluccius hubbsi.
>
> I like scrod very well, thank you.  I have never had (to my
> knowledge) hake.
>
> Do I win a prize?
>
> Claricia (who just had to know if she was right when it rang a bell)
> Claricia Nyetgale
> Canton of Caldrithig
> Barony of Skraeling Althing
> Ealdormere  (still mostly in the Middle Kingdom)

Hmmm. My point was that the term "scrod" properly refers to an innocuous
white fish fillet of unknown provenance. Where I live they are generally
squirrel or silver hake, or pollack. Sometimes tomcod. Living fish in
the water are never scrod.

This is what I get. I let myself speak in a generalization, and now I'm
scrod...;   )  .

Adamantius (almost, but not quite, ashamed to sign this)