SC - Moors

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 8 21:35:48 PDT 1997

Stephen Bloch wrote:

> I don't remember exactly what Ana translated, but I think it was a
> modern secondary source about medieval Andalusian cooking.  I know that
> it included vanilla.

I wasn't sure if this was the same work that she reviewed for T.I. I
would like to look at the translation anyway, as I had been given to
understand that she was reviewing a secondary source, and had then gone
to the primary source.

> >I know of a gentleman in Calontir who is doing a translation of a work
> >by Ruperto de Nola

> The book in question is the _Libre del Coch_.  It was published in 1520 in
> Barcelona, in the Catalan language, and again in 1525 in a Castilian
> (i.e. "mainstream Spanish") translation, according to the introduction
> by editor Veronika Leimgruber, who also says the latter is the oldest
> known cookbook in Castilian.  It was the source for the majority of our
> feast in February (which Gideanus didn't even come to... humph! :-)

You're right, of course. My confusion between Castillian and Catalonian
was just a slip of the tongue. Gettin' senile. I'm sorry about my
failure to mention your work on Libre del Coch: I wasn't sure of the
title, or whether this was the same source being worked on by my friend
in Calontir. However, I was pretty sure you would happen upon this and
provide more informatrion.

> >You could also look for the works of the late Rudolph Grewe. He is known
> >as the definitive translator of what we call "The Icelandic Medical
> >Miscellany", but despite his name, was in fact Castillian, as I
> >understand it. Several of his works are based on Castillian cookbooks
> >from period, some of them being translated into English, some not.
>
> No, Rudolph Grewe is Catalan.  Among other things, he edited the
> _Libre de Sent Sovi_.  His introduction says the common ancestor of the
> two surviving manuscripts probably dates to the early 14th century.
> Grewe also mentions two books he uses for other culinary information:
> the 1344 _Ordinacions de Pere el Cerimonios_ and the 1384 _Terc del
> Crestia_; I haven't found these.

See above. From Catalina, was he? I tend to speak in moonerisms and
spalapropisms when tired. Again, sorry!

Adamantius