SC - Cameline Sauce

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Fri May 9 16:43:13 PDT 1997

Lasairfhiona writes:
> Could I possibly beg that recipe from you?  I have a couple quarts of
> pomegranate juice, and no idea what to make of it (aside from wine, but that
> would be too easy...)

The recipe is #109 in _Libre del Coch_.  Here's our translation:

109 Cameline Sauce
Take two or three pomegranates and strain them all through a piece of
clean linen.  And when they are strained, press them well in such
manner that the juice [hisca] well.  And afterwards take a bit of
toasted bread and soak it in the aforementioned juice.  And afterwards
take a good quantity of ground cinnamon and put it with the bread.  And
afterwards grind it well in a morter.  And when it is ground up, temper
it up with good broth and the juice of the aforementioned pomegranates
and vinegar which isn't too strong .  And after that it goes on the
fire to boil, stirring all the time, until it is thick, but put in the
pot before it boils a lump of fine sugar.  And it's done.

Our first redaction turned into Cameline Glue; the following has fewer
breadcrumbs, and works well in both flavor and texture.

1/4 cup breadcrumbs (from toasted whole wheat bread)
3/4 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup beef broth
2 T wine vinegar
1 T cinnamon
1 tsp white sugar

As I recall, we did this redaction, scaled up by a factor of ten or
so, alongside the roast beef in the feast.  We also served a "salsa
allipebrada", or garlic-and-pepper sauce, which actually I think had
been redacted years earlier from a French recipe entitled "sauce
aliper".
					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu