SC - Feast preparation (LONG )

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon May 12 13:36:08 PDT 1997

<< The infamous FF.  For Buttock, I read them, and laughed. Never cooked one,
 and don't know anyone who did.  But I did redact the quiddony of Quinces or
 Pears.  Made a WONDERFUL fruit leather equivalent.

 	Tibor >>

Thanks, Tibor. Your post and several others over the past couple of weeks
show the wisdom of reading and redacting recipes yourself. At the very least
each recipe that one uses at a feast should be tested ahead of time.

My initial exposure to Faulous Feasts (the supposedly redacted recipes
therein) was 8 years ago when I was just getting started in SCA cookery. At
that time I was unaware of the work that several Scadian gentles had already
accomplished, so I grasped at a few straws from F.F. My experiments with
those "supposed" recipes almost turned me off to M.A. cookery forever! I now
make it a point to test ALL recipes that have been previously redacted unless
I know the cook and his/her technique/style. Even well-meaning Scadian cooks
can come up with some truly awlul combinations (myself included :-)) but due
to the nature of our hobby these dishes seldom make it to the feast table and
when they do they are seldom perpetuated at other feasts thus dieing a quick
death.

Some of the finest food that I have had the pleasure of tasting was carefully
and lovingly reproduced from period recipes. Several Scadian feasts that I
have attended have become wonderful and permanent memories of the best food
That I have ever had the pleasure of eating. (The feasts that were not
pleasant were truly awful and, unfortunately, will also retain a permanent
place in my memory! They were propbably (out of kindness) the result of
inexperience and lack of skill.

The feasts that were memorable treats to the tongue, nose and eyes were
created in kitchens that were staffed by who understood and loved food in all
it's aspects. And, most importantly, these cooks, without fail, continuously
tasted everything during it's preparation from beginning to end. They seldom,
if ever, depended on the written word as gospel and they did not hesitate to
add to or subtract from the quantities listed in the recipe if their taste
buds or noses warned them to.

So the bottom line is to not rely on the "experts", test ALL recipes before
the event and taste, taste, taste while preparing the actual feast. In this
way your diners will almost always walk away from the table satisfied and
happy and your feasts will always be well-attended by your adoring fans! :-)

Ramble, ramble, ramble, etc.,
Lord Ras