SC - Kvass

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue May 13 10:01:08 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Earlier today, Monday, May 12, Adamantius said:
>
> >I, for one, will stick to my kvass!
>
> I have heard a little about this drink but not since it was last discussed
> on the Rialto several years ago. I think at that time there was an
> argument about whether it was made of bread or grains.
>
> I would love to hear more about this drink or your recipe(s).
>
> To some, this drink might not sound appetizing but then to some
> "juice of barley" doesn't either.

I don't have my recipe in front of me, but I remember it fairly well. It
is fairly modern, but the impression I get is that the idea of making
kvass from bread is sort of the "bathtub gin" method. Also, in spite of
the fact that some people do use toasted rye bread today, it could be a
misunderstanding of the mashing process described in the more detailed
recipes.

The recipe I use calls for ground barley malt to be mixed with rye flour
and water to make a thick porridge or dough. This gets heated in an
extremely low oven for eight to twelve hours, which will give the
outside of the loaf a crust of sorts, but will not really cook the
middle. This allows the malt and the rye to mash, since the internal
temperature never gets above 150°F or so. This loaf is then crumbled and
dissolved in water. Meanwhile some more water is boiled, to which cane
sugar, dried mint, and a chile pepper or two are added. You combine
these two  mixtures, and when the temperature has reacjed an appropriate
level, you add your yeast and ferment the whole thing without straining.
A primary fermenter, such as is used with English ales, is helpful here,
or you'll almost certainly clog the airlock and explode!

After a week or two you rack the kvass from the copious sediment and
bottle it with two or three raisins in each bottle. Wait another ten
days to two weeks and drink through clenched teeth, like the court of
Richard II is rumored to have done. If you actually wait a couple of
months, it will become reasonably clear and rather like a pretty good
small ale. Final gravity should be quite low, so it is quite refreshing
on a hot day, if a bit on the potent side. Kind of like Budweiser
without the rice (blechh!), which, if they wouldn't insist on calling it
beer, wouldn't be too bad.

If anybody actually feels they need more details than this, I'll try to
find the recipe. Don't all speak at once!

> Stefan li Rous
> markh at risc.sps.mot.com

Aren't you glad you asked? :  )

Adamantius