SC - Pynson book in Longleat collection

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Wed May 14 10:31:04 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine again.  Kimib2 also asked about the SoA materials.

It's not a list of books.  It's a list of manuscripts in their collection;
rather like getting the comprehensive list of manuscripts in the possession
of the British Library.  I don't know whether one can order copies from
them; one can from the BL (photocopy, photograph, or microfilm), but it's
agonizingly expensive.  One *can't* simply buy books as if from a bookseller.

And when you're done, what you have is a copy of a period *manuscript*.
Unless your palaeographic skills are considerable, or it is a particularly
legible one, you will have a great deal of trouble just reading it.

If you're looking to start a collection, there are cheaper and better places
to begin.  (I have a list of a few sources on my web site; you can start
at http://www.watervalley.net/users/jtn/culhist.html and follow links.

If, on the other hand, you have basically all the stuff easily available
and want to branch into copies of period manuscripts, you might rather
start with someone like BL or the Bodleian, both of which have a pretty
rich collection of culinary materials.  _Du Manuscrit a la Table_
(Carole Lambert, ed.) has a very valuable article for locating manuscripts
at the end (the repertoire).

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry