SC - redactions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed May 14 16:57:50 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

>  what is the best method to get the amounts right?  I was going to use the
>  same amounts as the other spices used.  Will this work? >>
>
> Using equal amounts of spices does not work. Try using middle eastern,
> northern Italian, Portuguese, India and/or Chinese recipes to get a basic
> idea of amounts and then adjust up or down to taste. At least that's my
> method and it has very rarely produced anything inedible. Also recipes for
> such things as mincemeat may be helpful as a guide in this area.
>
> Lord Ras

I agree. The method Lord Ras mentions is generally what I do, although
sometimes the primary source recipe will indicate a certain dominance of
one spice flavor over another, which isn't always provided for in
another recipe using those spices.

Also, there's no guarantee that what you have created, albeit tasty, is
what the original cook had in mind. On the other hand, for sheer
edibility, it is probably the best method out there.

Adamantius