SC - Game pies - Caveat Redactor

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Fri May 16 08:05:29 PDT 1997

Adamantius wrote:

> I'm inclined to think a game pie with a sealer/filler of butter would be
> only marginally period, while the similar receipts of someone like
> Elinor Fettiplace, which might call for an egg-thickened wine sauce to
> be poured into the pie after baking, would be a closer relative to the
> medieval pies of game, fruit, bone marrow, and custard.

Why?  I have seen several very late period/just post-period meat pie recipes
calling for the use of butter as a filler.  Markham has a chicken recipe in
which he calls for the cavity of the bird to be filled with butter and butter
to be put around the bird.

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com