SC - Roasted Butter

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed May 21 07:15:07 PDT 1997

I haven't done a redaction yet, because people start muttering phrases like
needing artery drain-o, short lifespans, etc.

Here it is:

To roast a pound of butter well
(The English Housewife; Gervase Markham, edited by Michael Best 1986)

To roast a pound of butter curiously and well, you shall take a pound of seet
butter and beat it stiff with sugar, and the yolks of eggs; then clap it
roundwise about a pit, and lay it before a soft fire, and presently drdge it
with the dredging before appointed for the pig; then as it warmeth or melteth,
so apply it with dredgining till the butter be overcomed and no more will melt
to fall from it, then roast it brown, and so draw it, and servie it out, the
dish being as neatly trimmed with sugar as may be.

The dredging mentioned in the previous recipe is fine bread crumbs, currants,
sugar, and salt.

I think I just might do this sometime and serve it to people and not let them
know what they are having until after they have ingested the "cholesterol
poison."

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com