SC - Two questions...

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Fri May 2 10:12:13 PDT 1997

> > Okay folks here's two questions that I feel rather dumb about.
> >
> > Firstly,  Aelfric peeled several cloves of garlic that we had
> > lying around the house after a feast and put them in an airtight
> > container filled with cooking oil. After a few days I went to get
> > a couple of cloves out and the entire concoction started bubbling
> > and fizzing!  Any ideas what is going on?  Have we created garlic
> > champagne? "Brothers! Come quickly! I think I'm eating stars!"
>
> Me, I would be very suspicious of this.  I have read (although I
> don't remember where) that storing garlic and other things in oil
> like this is not exactly the safest thing in the world.

I read a specific story some years ago which I have since mislaid
about how one should be cautious of the jars of garlic stored in oil
that are commercially available because several had been found that
harbored botulism spores.

This was a real news item, and it immediately sprang to mind when I
read this post.  Unfortunatley, I no longer have the clipping.

Anyone else know anything about this?

jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
University of Denver
College of Law