SC - Watermelon

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Fri May 2 18:00:22 PDT 1997

<< these mellons, however, do contain a great deal of moisture and are what
the
 Bushmen survive on during the dry season.  It is possible that the mellons
seen
 in the illustrations and mentioned are these bitter mellons.>>

No the illustrations clearly show a cart containing the big oblong striped
watermelons. One of the paintings was French and one was German.

 <<Do the references sited above say anything about the mellons being sweet?

 That would be the best way to tell which are being refered to.>>

Unfortunately, no. However, the bitter watermelon that you speak of is in all
probabability the "citron" which is very bitter until it is candied or other
wise processed. Another possibility is that the melon to which you refer is
another species of plant . With the exception of citron, all known species of
watermelon are relatively sweet.

 <<One more thing, I keep hearing about/reading about gourds.  What are they?
 had been taught that the winter squash we eat are also New World.>>

The Luffa gourd (sponge) is an Old World plant and is extremely edible when
it is very young (less than 6 inches). I have used (and continue to use) this
gourd when when gourds are called for in a period recipe.

Both winter and summer squashes are New World according to all the references
I have read..

 <<Linneah >>

Hope this helps.

Lord Ras