SC - Rue

barbara shuwarger bshuwarg at lausd.k12.ca.us
Sat May 3 13:39:28 PDT 1997

I figured there must be a story or two associated with rue. I was aware of
the use of the word meaning "to regret", but I didn't know what there was
about the herb that would cause it to have such an association.

I bought the plant because of its name and because it has really pretty
blue-green foliage. Silly me, I assumed it was edible and I put a sprig of
it in some soup I made. It didn't taste badly and I guess it isn't deadly,
'cause I'm still here. It also has an pleasant odor.

I'm still not sure, though, why it is associated with sadness if it has so
many allegedly beneficial uses.  Mrs. Grieve describes the taste and odor
as unpleasant, but I don't agree.

I am unfortunately a person who suffers from a lot of allergies. Now I'm
wondering if I should just give the damned thing away. But then, I could
use protection from the plague.

Are you saying then I shouldn't ever eat the stuff?
Am I going to rue the day I bought this plant?  ;-)  It only cost about
four bucks - I just like the idea of having a plant with such a symbolic
name.

Helisenne