SC - Galingale

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Sat May 3 18:26:44 PDT 1997

>At 11:26 AM +0000 5/2/97, Jessica Tiffin wrote:
>
>>I'm having huge problems laying my hands
>>on cubebs, grains of paradise and the like.  Would anyone happen to
>>know alternative, preferably Indian, but at a pinch Latin names for
>>these spices?  I found galingale lurking in an Indian shop disguised
>>as something called galangal, and am hoping others may exist.
>
>Also sold as galangas, especially in thai groceries.
>
>Aphrodisia in NY sells by mail and over the phone; I don't know if they
>take foreign orders. Their phone number is in the Miscellany, near the
>beginnning.
>

>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

It can also be called "Galinga". A friend found some in NYC at an Indian
Spice Shop for me and it was FRESH! What a wonderful Sauce Galantine that
made! She still has a nugget frozen in her freezer for Galingale Liqeur
(sauce is from To the King's Taste, and no, I can't lay my hands on it at
the moment). The gist of the sauce is broth, pulverised Galingale, spices,
thickened with breadcrumbs. I'll try to rummage for the recipe in the next
few days, if anyone is interested. I recall it being so simple that I was
able to "eyeball" it at the event with good results. It's excellent for the
meat sauce at the end of the feast, when the diners THINK they can't
possibly eat any more. It really does sharpen the appetite as "advertised".
The "giving courage"  part (a supposed effect of galingale) I can't vouch
for, having no excuse to be brave after partaking!

Aoife (also rummaging for her totally non-period original Galingale Liqeur
recipe)
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957