SC - Spices and their use in Period

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue May 6 09:33:58 PDT 1997

At 4:09 PM -0500 5/5/97, Sue Wensel wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I am preparing a class for our War Practice
>about Spices and Their Use in Period.  I have two questions:
>
>1.	What have you discovered in redacting period recipes?  What works,
>what is
>	off-putting to a modern palate?

What I have discovered is that period cooking was not, so far as one can
tell by the available evidence, overspiced for modern palates. The one
exception so far is 16th century Mughal cooking, which seems to have an
extraordinary amount of salt in it, judging by the one source (ingredient
lists, with quantities) that I have.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/