SC - capers

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed May 7 17:17:01 PDT 1997

Earlier today, Wed., May 7 Adamantius said:

ysabeau wrote:

> My guess was fresh capers

Probably not capers. They grow individually on a bush, and are actually
flower buds related to the nasturtium, and not berries (as with
peppercorns) or the seeds of those berries (as with white peppercorns).
If they are green, and don't show themselves as tiny clusters of leaves,
then they are more likely some kind of berries or seeds. I suppose they
COULD be the green form of long pepper, just as black peppercorns come
in a green form, too. At this point, anything's possible.

So, are capers period? If so, how were they used? Were they dried or
pickled or what? I think I've seen them in the store and I know I've
eaten them once or twice but I really don't know much about them.

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  markh at risc.sps.mot.com