SC - Mastic Thyme

Mark A. Sharpe yb867 at freenet.victoria.bc.ca
Thu May 8 14:34:02 PDT 1997

On Thu, 8 May 1997, LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> Hi from Allison
>

> If you get this twice you are on both my cookery lists, sorry, but I need
> a fast answer.  Taillevent refers to 'mastic thyme' in his Cameline
> Bruet.  None of my herb books give the word 'mastic' although they do
> claim there are 200-400 varieties of thyme.  Does anyone know if 'mastic
> thyme' is simply a variety or if it refers to something else?
>

> Thanks for the help,
>

> Allison

Acording to The Herb Society of America Encyclopedia of Herbs mastic thyme
(thymus mastichina) is also known as Spanish wood marjoram. It is found
in Spain and Portugal on rocky ground and beside roads. It has a strong
camphoraceous aroma. The leaves can be added to strong flavored meat dishes
and its oil, known as oil of wild marjoram, is used in the food industry
to flavor meat sauces and soups.

The Herb Society also has a web pageat http://www.herbsociety.com.

Terrendon the Wanderer