SC - Mastic Thyme

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 8 20:42:05 PDT 1997

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> Hi from Allison
>
> If you get this twice you are on both my cookery lists, sorry, but I need
> a fast answer.  Taillevent refers to 'mastic thyme' in his Cameline
> Bruet.  None of my herb books give the word 'mastic' although they do
> claim there are 200-400 varieties of thyme.  Does anyone know if 'mastic
> thyme' is simply a variety or if it refers to something else?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Allison

Hi, Allison:

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question about mastic thyme.
But I don't see any reference to it in the recipe you mention (I'm using
the Scully translation and the associated French texts). So, is it just
that you are doing a redaction of the cameline brewet, or just looking
into the mastic thyme question?

I hope I'm not coming across as a sort of spoiler; it only occurred to
me that if one checked a different translation, something different
might turn up which might help. I didn't anticipate this result. Could
you perhaps be more specific?

Sorry I couldn't help more...

Adamantius