SC - "Fabulous Feasts"

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 9 21:21:01 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> Were you referring to "A Buttock of Beef" or "Fabulous Feasts" in regards to
> "deliscious? My experience with "Fabulous Feasts" is the opposite. I find the
> recipes there absolutely AWFUL. Just my opinion.
>
> Lord Ras

Yeah, well, they're pretty offensive. I still have nightmares about the
garnish of red liquorice whips. On the other hand, there was little out
there in that field at the time it was written, so there were few or no
benchmarks. No line to draw and realize that beneath that point, you
should be embarrassed.

The book was written with a view toward feeling out a target audience
when it was uncertain whether they had any interest in authentic
reproductions of period food, and the recipe redactions were based on a
pantry of
foods available to someone living in a small town in New Jersey in the
1950's. And speaking of the 1950's, need I point out that both the
author and the intended audience were following instructions stencilled
over  the culinary repertoire of 1950's America -- arguably the worst
cuisine in the history of the world -- all the worst combinations of an
incredible stodginess and a misguided sense of convenience.

HOW COULD THE BOOK NOT STINK???

I feel this comes under the heading of "More to be pitied than
censured..."

All that said, I still feel the non-recipe portion of the book isn't
that bad.

Adamantius (pant, pant, gasp)