SC - Pynson book in Longleat collection

Jamey R. Lathrop jlathrop at unm.edu
Mon May 12 20:41:39 PDT 1997

Greetings from Lady Allegra Beati, Barony of al-Barran, Kingdom of the
Outlands.  I've been reading this list for almost a month, and have been
enjoying it immensely.  I've been messing around with period cookery for
some years, although I only started getting into heavy-duty research about
a year-and-a-half ago, trying things out at home and on the people I camp
with (must be working-- the man who became my husband first got REALLY
friendly over a leg of lamb at Grand Outlandish!) I enjoy all aspects of
medieval and renaissance cookery, and am particularly interested in the
medical basis/foundations of the subject.

And now, on to the REAL reason for my post:

> Hi, Katerine back again.
[snip]
 > manuscript, is in the collection of the Society of Antiquaries.  And the
> third as set in print by Pynson and published in 1500.  The title page says
> "This is the boke of Cokery".  The text begins "Here beginneth a noble boke
> of festes royalle and Cokery a boke for a pryncis housholde."  It is the same
> collection, but more complete than the manuscript that Napier worked from.
>
> This is almost of a surety the book from which the original of the recipe
> Liliane posted here came.  There is no simple or straightforward way to check
> what the original actually said and reproduce it.  (My source has access to
> that information, but is bound by strict agreements on the terms of that
> access not to distribute the contents.)
>
> -- Katerine/Terry

Actually, I may be able to check on that.  According to my notes, I believe
that the printed edition is on the Early English Books in Print microfilm.
Unfortunately, if memory serves correct, I didn't pay much attention to
that particular book at the time I was examining it (over a year ago),
because reading most of it was next to impossible-- extremely blotchy,
ink seepage from the reverse sides, etc.  However, that recipe (if I can
find it), might be one of the more legible or even clear ones, and I have
gotten MUCH better at deciphering such mangled words in the past year.

I'll take a look at it....

Allegra