SC - Common combinations of spices

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Tue May 13 08:19:27 PDT 1997

Hello gentles,

I have a quick question for all the cooks out there.  I would like to poll the
collective minds of this mailing list for period combinations of spices.  I am
familiar with the cinnamon/nutmeg/mace/pepper/salt,
cinnamon/nutmeg/clove/pepper/salt, and cinnamon/ginger/pepper/salt
combinations.  What other common combinations were there and what were they
used for?

I've seens lots of references to "and other good herbes" or "other good
spices." What criteria are you using to select the spices you use and how do
you decide what combinations you might want?  I work a lot by the seat of my
pants (anyone who has worked with me in a kitchen has seen the state of my
skirt by the time I'm done -- I've finally discovered aprons!) and want to
know how others work with spices and herbs.

As I was working on my class, I realized just how sparse my own library was
and how much I have been relying on discussions with others of greater
experience to influence the directions of my experiments.

Derdriu
whose motto is "If it smells good together, it will taste good together."
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com