SC - Re: sauces

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Mon May 19 12:25:55 PDT 1997

> My daughter had Roast Beef
> with a pepper sauce at a Renn Fair and loved, but can't find the pepper
> sauce recipie.

Sauce Alepeuere (Ashmole Ms. 1429, Harl. 4016, etc.)

"Take fayre broun brede, toste hit, and stepe it in vinegre, and drawe
it thurwe a straynour; and put ther-to garleke smal y-stampyd, poudre
piper, salt, & serue forth"

I need to ask my wife's permission before posting her redaction, but
she's served this with roast beef, venison, etc. at several feasts to
rave reviews.  We usually pronounce it "Sauce Aliper" or, for the still
less linguistically adventurous, "Garlic Pepper Sauce".

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/