SC - Noble foods, peasant foods.

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Fri May 23 09:34:23 PDT 1997

I do like the thread that has come up.  But something I think that we need to look
into is that the foods that we mostly are discussing are "Special occassion"
dishes.

I have read that for the most part the diet of the peasant and the nobility had
very little meat and consisted of a lot of bread, porridges, in season fruits
and vegetables, and beer.

Even the upper nobility only ate meat a few times a week.  Partially for religious
reasons but also for pure economics.

Nobility would have more occassion for fancier dishes than the peasantry but the
daily dining would be very similar.

You don't see very many recipes for oatmeal porridge like you don't see many
modern recipes for toast.

Just an observation.

Yers,

Gunthar