SC - BEEF! But it isn't a recipe!

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu May 1 09:40:15 PDT 1997

>>The majordomo should have written to you to tell you that this is an open server>> and that you need just wander in at any time. Why don't you introduce yourself >>to the list and give a short synopsis of what you are interested in. Don't be
>>shy, just come on in.
>>
> > Lord Mandrigal of Mu

This is exactly what the welcome message for the list is for.  Thank you for
assisting the lady.

> Just at note before I leave this list server. I have only been on this
> server for a short time and in that time I have only been welcomed by two
> or three people. To those people I say thank you.
>
> A common thread on Rialto and the Trimaris list server is how we (The SCA)
> as a group treat newcomers. As a newcomer to this list I have had a few
> (countable on one hand) bother to converse with me. I wade through 30 to 40
> postings each night, but two or three people have bothered to answer my
> posts. I thought this list was a source of information, freely shared by
> people who wanted to help each other. I guess I was wrong, because this
> server seems only to serve a very few.

My Lord, firstly this is a email listserver, not a chatroom.  When someone
announces themselves as being new and asking to be welcomed they usually are.
Unfortunately, this list gets so many new members signing on and off as well as
so much traffic of the "Cooks" nature that personally welcoming every new member
would be a full-time job.  I have not seen any flaming of a question; enlightening
list to gain knowledge and exchange ideas.

I've enjoyed your postings and consider you a valuable part of this list.  Simply
because someone who agrees with you doesn't write in to tell you is only because
there is enough traffic on this list that they don't wish to cause any more
traffic.

As Administrator, Cook, Society member, and hobbyist I have found this list
refreshing and rewarding as I hope others have as well and not just the few who
write in.

> The skin of most list server subscribers is much too thin and fragile for
> me to tippy-toe around. I thought I was being honorous by welcoming a new
> person to this list. Obviously, I have been wrong... once again!

If my words offended you, please forgive me.  You were totally correct in
welcoming in a new visitor.  I responded privately, once again, to save traffic on
this list.  My "So there!" comment was what I considered a small joke at your
matronly tone.  Forgive my not using the obligatory smiley face so people will be
able to tell a joke from an insult.  It is not my intention to insult anybody and
anyone who becomes abusive on this list will be warned or removed if the problem
isn't fixed.

> For those of you who have shared recipes and your time with me, thank you.
> I can still be contacted through my personal e-mail address.
>
> Lord Mandrigal of Mu.
> Someone who bothered to welcome new people into the SCA twenty-five years
> ago, who in turn made sure there is an SCA today!

If there are problems with this list, please address me privately or even on the
list itself.  This is everyone's list and will become what we make it.  Losing
you will not fix this list, your opinion and everyone else's who subscribes to
this list is very important to me.

Yours,

Sir Gunthar Jonsson
List Administrator