SC - Message not deliverable

Administrator administ at macom.com
Fri May 2 18:00:41 PDT 1997

In a message dated 97-05-02 03:25:02 EDT, His Grace, Duke Coriadac wrote:

<< Watermelon is period, but you have to be a little careful about deducing
 what is period from translations, given problems both with the translators
 and with changing meaning of language.  >>

Your Grace,

Thank-you for pointing out this glaring omission in my previuos post. :-) As
I also study and practice horticulture as an avocation, I sometimes tend to
forget that others may not have as broad a base on which to make judgement
calls with regards to translations of period recipes.Like any field of study,
it is important to look at the facts from a variety of disciplines before
making a "factual" statement.

I will admit , however, that I have more times than not taken the
translations that you have published at face value.:-0 I cannot recall ever
using green peppers in a recipe tho'. Whew! :-) Since I have been practicing
and studying period cookery for only 9 yrs., I still have a lifetime of
knowledge and technique to explore and absorb and can only dream of
approaching the art with the expertise that your Grace ,Master Ian, Mistress
Judith and others of like talent have accomplished.

I can recall a Middle Eastern Feast that I recieved a standing ovation for.
After the feast, which I didn't get a chance to eat as it was meant to be
eaten, Mistress Judith asked me if she could talk to me. Filled with good
cheer and warmth, I asked what I could help her with. Her reply> "More
vinegar!" Needless to say I was crestfallen until I realized that what she
was saying was that the only thing that she could find that needed
improvement was the addition of more vinegar to the dishes that required
vinegar.

My advice to new SCA cooks would be to read, study, practice and ask
questions over and over and over again. If you are serious about period
cooking, your feasts will get better and better. The use of non-period foods
will become easier. And, most importantly, 200 McDonald's fans will be able
to step back in time, if only for a brief moment, and experience a part of
the dream and enjoy EVERY mouthful.

Ooops...........as I sheepishly and embarrassingly crawl off the soapbox
(sorry! :-0)

Lord Ras

From: Uduido at aol.com