SC - Rue

Alys of Foxdale foxdale at wolfstar.com
Sat May 3 07:07:06 PDT 1997

> I have recently become interested in gardening and bought a lovely plant
> called "rue". Was this known in period? What were its uses?  Is there any
> folklore surrounding it?
>
> Helisenne

Dang!  I really need to get more herb books; most of mine have no
historical or medicinal info at all, and the use of rue was primarily
medicinal.

I know Shakespeare mentions rue more than once.  Ever heard the saying
"rue the day you were born"?  Rue was associated with melancholy and
regret; I think it may have been used to treat it; either that or it
was used by the suicidal.  It is a poison, and has been used as an
abortifacient.

According to _The Pleasure of Herbs_ by Phyllis Shaudys, "Once a
medicinal herb, bunches of it [rue] were used to ward off the plague,
and King Mithridates is said to have taken small doses of rue and
other poisonous herbs to make himself immune to assassination
attempts."

>From _Herbs for the Home_ by Jekka McVicar:

   "The Romans brought it [rue] across Northern Europe to Britain,
   where it did not gain favor until the Middle Ages, when it was one
   of the herbs carried in nosegays by the rich as protection from
   evil and the plague.  Also, like rosemary, it was placed near the
   judge before prisoners were brought out, as protection from the
   pestilence ridden jails and fever.

   It was famous for preserving eyesight and was said to promote
   second sight, perhaps acting on the third eye.  Both Leonardo da
   Vinci and Michaelangelo are supposed to have said that their inner
   vision had been enhanced by this herb."

McVicar goes on to say that rue was used to treat eyestrain, eyestrain
headaches, nervous headaches, heart palpitations, high blood pressure,
nervous digestion, and colic.  It was also used to help harden bones
and teeth, and to expel worms.

Both sources warn against handling rue; it is known to cause a rash
called phytol-dermatitis, and also strong allergic reactions.

It is also enlightening to check out the page and a half of entries in
the Oxford English Dictionary if you have one handy.

   Alys of Foxdale          Shire of Stierbach, Kingdom of Atlantia
 mka Sallie Montuori               Chantilly, Virginia, USA
foxdale at wolfstar.com