SC - Watermelon

S.Thomas morgan at in-tch.com
Sat May 3 09:32:43 PDT 1997

<HTML><BODY>
david friedman wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>>Ibn Battuta talks about delicious melons. It
seems clear from that and
<BR>>other period Islamic references that there were a variety of different
old
<BR>>world melons, many of which were not bitter. As to watermelon in
<BR>>particular, I can't say, but I see no reason to identify it with the
bitter
<BR>>melon you mentioned.
<BR>
<BR>>David/Cariadoc
<BR><A HREF="http://www.best.com/~ddfr/">>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/</A>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
  Your Grace -
<BR>
<BR>What about cantalope, etc?  I have a couple of illustrations (from
"Tacuinum Sanitatis") that say the object being held is "melon".
It looks to be the size and shape of a cantalope, but .....
<BR>
<BR>In service,
<BR>Morgan
<BR>morgan at in-tch.com