SC - Moors

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 8 06:32:21 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << Instead I'll get
>  serious and mention that there's a possibility the name is a corruption
>  of "Moorish Dancing". >>
>
> Which brings up the subject of Moorrish cooking! :-) Is there a derth of
> period recipes from Spain and Portugal or is it my imagination? My own search
> has come up with zilch.
>
> Lord Ras

A lady in Ostgardr has done a translation  of at least one Andalusian
text; I have not seen it yet but will try to get hold of a copy.

I know of a gentleman in Calontir who is doing a translation of a work
by Ruperto de Nola (MAY be spelled correctly) who was apparently a
Castillian chef to the court of one Fernando of Sicily. Many of the
recipes are apparently of Castillian origin.

You could also look for the works of the late Rudolph Grewe. He is known
as the definitive translator of what we call "The Icelandic Medical
Miscellany", but despite his name, was in fact Castillian, as I
understand it. Several of his works are based on Castillian cookbooks
from period, some of them being translated into English, some not.

Then, of course, there's al Andalus, which Cariadoc has worked with.

Adamantius