SC - Paprika (also an introduction)

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Thu May 8 08:42:12 PDT 1997

Yes, there was a large influx of Germans into Hungary several times.  The
Saxons in the 12th -14th centuries and Schawben in the 18th century.  the few
recipies I have found or heard of, were incidentaly recorded by Italian cooks
that arrived with the Italian queen of King Matthias.

My problem is that I know, based on my mundane education, that this region
was extremely static and I wonder if that applies to food as well as it does
to other aspects of culture.  My sole period recipe is meat in a sour cream
and vinegar sauce.  A similar sauce, using wine instead of the vinegar is a
part of modern Hungarian cuisine.  I probably will never know, unless I can
go over and do some research of my own.

Noemi