SC - walnut oil

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 8 20:51:52 PDT 1997

Karen Farris wrote:

>      Would any of you illustrious chefs inform a poor French peasant girl
>      of the periodicity of walnut oil?  What about other nut oils or
>      vegetable oils?  Is there script of any other than animal lards and
>      olive oil?

The Icelandic Medical Miscellany gives instructions on making almond
oil, if I remember correctly, and the likelihood appears to be that
those recipes are more French than Icelandic. It seems quite likely that
in parts of France where walnuts were more prevalent than almonds,
walnut oil could have been made and used. Other possibilities include
grapeseed oil, and rapeseed oil (not a typo, just a coincidence). I seem
to recall reading some reference to health problems brought on by
excessive use of rapeseed oil (rape is a plant related to cabbages and
turnips).

>      Also, if one wanted to add walnuts to said oil...purely for
>      presentation purposes, would it keep if stoppered for a period of
>      time?  Would the walnuts have to be toasted or otherwise treated?

Well, you probably could do it, but you should probably refrigerate the
entire batch (walnut oil should be refrigerated if not used immediately;
it goes rancid easily), and I suspect the walnuts would become a bit on
the soggy side.

G. Tacitus Adamantius