SC - Fried Whiting

Karen Farris farrisk at macom.com
Fri May 9 05:57:37 PDT 1997

     I found a set of thin English Heritage books on a recent trip to the
     motherland.  This one is from 'Food and Cooking in 16th Century
     Britain:  History and Recipes' by Peter Brears.  He cites the source
     as 'The Boke of Cokery' by Richard Pynson with Temple Bar London 1500.
     He furthermore states the only known copy of this work is in the
     collection of the Marquis of Bath, Longleat House.

     I hope this helps the battered fish debate and am glad to be able to
     lay my hands on them after recently moving to Dragonspine.  For .95p
     each I couldnt go wrong with the purchase, but am curious to know if
     there are any errors with his redaction.

     Lillian Clare du Chateauroux

     PS.  Thanks Adamantius for the info on walnut oil.  --mushy
     walnuts--yuck!

     To fry Whitings:  First flay them and wash them clean and seale them,
     that doon, lap them in floure and fry them in Butter and oyle.  Then
     to serve them, mince apples or onions and fry them, then put them into
     a vessel with white wine, vergious, salt, pepper, clove and mace, and
     boile them together on the Coles, and serve it upon the Whitings.

     Brears redacts the recipe thusly,

     8 oz apples or onions, minced
     butter or oil for frying
     1/2 pt white wine
     1 tbls wine vinegar
     1 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp pepper
     1/4 tsp ground mace
     a pinch of ground cloves
     1-1 1/2 lb whiting fillets

     Fry the apples or onions in a little butter or oil in a small sauce
     pan until thoroughly cooked, but not browned.  Stir in the wine,
     vinegar, salt, pepper, and spices.  Allow to cook for a few minutes,
     then keep hot ready for use.  Remove any skin from the fillets, dust
     them with flour, fry in butter or oil for 15 minutes and serve with
     sauce.