SC - Ginger ale (as an offshoot from Kvass)

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Thu May 15 09:02:24 PDT 1997

Greetings, all.

My eagle eye spotted something...

> Modern day Kvass is more like Period Ginger ale or root beer,
> according to some friends from Ukraine and russia.  They say it
> comes in big

Does this mean ginger ale or ginger beer are period, or am I
hopelessly misreading the sentence?  Would anyone happen to have a
recipe for a period fermented ginger drink?  I've never seen a reference to
it, but then my experience is fairly limited.

Many thanks, incidentally, to all the people who posted info or
mailed me about alternative names for cubebs and grains of paradise.
I have been rendering the lives of Indian spice shops hideous with
demands.  So far no luck, but I did locate all the Latin names, which
helps.

Melesine

*********
We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked.
                            - James Thurber

Jessica Tiffin                     jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Department of English, University of Cape Town, South Africa
*********