SC - Garlic in oil

linneah at erols.com linneah at erols.com
Fri May 2 09:47:33 PDT 1997

Sue Wensel wrote:

> Reading across the posts of trying to create garlic oil reminded me of an
> ill-fated experiment trying to make flower oil for baths.  I put the flowers
> in the oil as I was supposed to, put it in the sun, shook it twice a day for
> two weeks, all as the recipe I had called for.  What the recipe left out was
> some sort of fixative/preservative to prevent the whole mess from decaying.  I
> had a rather rancid flower oil -- so bad, I threw out the whole mess, jar and
> all.
>
> I believe stearic benzoin is safe for human consumption, but the incident is
> sufficiently long ago that I would like to do some re-research before I am
> quoted on this.  Does anyone else know?
>
> Derdriu
> ----
> This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
> Software, Inc.
> http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/
>
> --
> swensel at brandegee.lm.com

I have stored whole, peeled garlic cloves in olive oil in a covered jar in the
refrigerator for months at a time.  I take out what I need or pour off a little of
the oil and put it back in the fridge.  I've never had a problem, but that might
just be luck.

Sort of on the same note, I know this will start a firestorm, but I am all in favor
of irradiating food in order to kill the botulism spores and all other nasty
things.  It does not create "glowing" food and so far no test has shown any ill
effects.  Any comments?

Linneah
who can't wait to read the mail this generates