SC - Mushrooms!

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Fri May 2 11:09:28 PDT 1997

> Okay:  I got a five-lb flat of fresh mushrooms in lovely shape as
> part of a bonus for working with the SCA group at the public TV
> station this week.  Since I'm not going to eat that much stroganoff
> in the next week or so, I'd like some suggestions/recipes/sources on:
>
> 	-interesting ways to pickle
> 	- interesting snack/appetizer things for a Pelican vigil next Friday
> 	- things other than stroganoffing or sauteeing
>
> Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
> Barony of Caerthe
> Kingdom of the Outlands

Dining with William Shakespear has a wonderful mushroom dish, not good as a
finger food, but delicious.  I've modified the redaction a little, to suit my
own tastes (while not an Italian persona, I believe that one can never have
too much garlic or too many onions in a dish).  I use about equal amounts of
onion and mushrooms.

Saute the onions and garlic in about two sticks of butter (more for more
onions -- this is based on a 12 oz. pkg of mushrooms).

When the onions are clear, not brown, add the mushrooms.

When the mushrooms are totally wet and just beginning to soften, add enough
breadcrumbs (very fine) to absorb the butter.  I usually remember to add any
spices right about now.  I like to use mace, salt, nutmeg, pepper, ginger, and
cinnamon; basil, oregano, salt, and pepper; etc.  If you are very experienced
in cooking, you can develop spice combinations you like.

When the butter is absorbed by the breadcrumbs, then add enough white wine to
make a slightly thinner than necessary sauce.  Cook for about 10 minutes to
cook off the alcohol.

This is sufficiently yummy that my mom, who is hopelessly mundane, wanted the
recipe.

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com