SC - Watermelon

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Mon May 5 21:07:25 PDT 1997

Lasairina at aol.com 5/2/97 10:43 PM

>> I have been told and read that all the squash we commonly eat is New
>>  World.  I, too, would like to know what the 'guord' referred to in
>>  various recipes is.
>>
>>  Clarissa
>
>I found a recipe in the book "How to Cook Forsoothly," by Mistress Katrine de
>Baillie du Chat called -Gourdes in Potage- which recommends either zuchinni
>or cucumbers as the "gourd."  I have made it several times at wars with the
>cucumbers, and there is never any leftovers...
>
>Lassar Fhina

I too have made this recipe with good success (although I use another
source for it). I use yellow squash and zuchinin depending on what I can
find. However, I know they are not the appropriate squash and I would
like to see how it differs if i can find the suspected period squash any
where around here.

clarissa