SC - Paprika

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue May 6 19:18:03 PDT 1997

<< Since we have been discussing the sources for a variety of foods I was
 curious if anyone could add to my knowledge about paprika.   According to my
 sources, the Turks introduced paprika to Hungary during their occupation.
  The Turkish occupation occured after the Battle of Mohacs in 1526.   >>

Possibly. Hot pepper seeds were brought back on all three of the first
Columbus voyages. By 1528, they were a MAJOR agricultural crop in the
Mediterranean Basin. I tend to personally avoid at all costs the use of new
world foods in a feast because to many people it allows too much of an
intrusion of the Current Middle Ages into the dream they are trying to
achieve at an event.

Bearing that in mind when I do European and Middle Eastern cuisine I never go
out of my way to use any recipes that contain new world foods. And do not
have any redacted in my collection. I also never descide what I would like to
cook and then go searching for "period" recipes to justify it's use. All of
the above I do do with thoughts of my guests and their ultimate enjoyment of
unquestionably period food.

Lord Ras