SC - Plaintive whine about sourcing....

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sat May 10 18:49:55 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here again.  Dagonell (hi!) asks:

>How would SCAdian cooks WANT to see this organized?  I don't really want to
>include photocopies of original manuscripts, I'd rather re-type everything
>as to standardize margins and fonts.

My vote would be, enter the stuff, standardize away.  Just don't mess with
the words, when you have them, which won't be always, and when you know,
let people know as precisely as you do where it comes from.

>I was thinking of something like the arrangement in "To the King's Taste"
>An original: "Take sawge, parsel, ysope and savray...
>A translation: Take sage, parsley, hyssop and savory...
>A redaction: 1 tsp dried sage, 1 c chopped parsley, ...
>With the redactor given full blam////credit.
>Obviously, I can't do this in every case, but I'd like to stay as close
>to this as possible.

Sounds good to me.  (It had better; it's more or less what I did in my
recipe booklet.  ;^)

>Got it!  Include page and recipe numbers wherever possible.

Yup, when you can!

>Got it!  Table of Contents AND back of the book index.  (And don't get
>Adamantius mad at me whatever I do! ;-)  I was thinking of having the book
>ordered into sections, Appetizers, Main Dishes, Sides, Desserts, etc.
>The Table of Contents would list by meal name and the index would list by
>main ingredient ie, Chicken Dishes... p.16, 23, 34 etc.  Acceptable?

Sounds fine to me.  I'm less intensely concerned about the index, if the
table of contents is complete.  But that's me.

>One last note; Several (not all) submitters included one line as to where
>the dish had been served recently, e.g King Soandso's Coronation, etc.
>A few are somewhat vague, "Served at Pennsic XX".  Is this information
>actually useful?

Well, um, er ... not for me, probably.  First, it's going to be utterly
useless to people from radically different areas.  Second, even if one
ate at some reasonable number of those feasts, unless one recalls them
dish by dish (and which feast that great cameline three years ago was at,
or was it four? and so on), I don't think it would even be that much use
in the area.  But maybe that's just me.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry