SC - medieval courses

Mon May 12 11:58:38 PDT 1997

  Ok. I've not made a study of this. So can you give us a synopsis of
  what the "medieval European's view of a course" was? And I don't
  really mean "On the left was the salt cellar, in front of him was
  his plate,..." :-)

I haven't made a "study" of this either.  But I have read a few menus.

To my mind, a period course would be a small meal of mixed and various
dishes.  A multi-course meal would be several of these courses.  Whereas, to
the modern taste a course has a different purpose, and therefore each course
has a label: appetizer, pasta, fish, dessert, sorbet, entree, etcetera.

	Tibor