SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #119

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Thu May 15 05:56:40 PDT 1997

>From: lynchs at macquarie.matra.com.au (Shayne & Trudi Lynch)
>Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:23:21
>Subject: SC - redactions
>
>>I would also suggest that you get others to taste it.  You may not like
>>it (I recently reconstructed a recipe for fava bean tortelli, the
>>stuffing for which I thought looked and smelled truly disgusting.  My
>>husband, however, who hates beans, really liked it--came back for
>>seconds.  Had it not been for that, I would never have served the things
>>(which went over pretty well).
>
>>toodles, margaret
>

>I've also found it can be useful to get half a doz. sca friends together
>and an informal tasting a week or two before the feast to try out any
>new redactions you may be trying. this not only gives you a number of
>different palates to test the new food with, but if you keep a note book
>it gives you a valuable resorce to use in the future and to offer anyone
>new doing there first feast.
>
>Aelfthrythe of Saxony
>Journeyman to Master Charles of the Park

Heigh Ho! I'm back from the land of Ears, where on Mother's Day I dined on
Prime Rib of Buffalo, Smashed red potatoes with skins and fresh herbs (and
butter, cream, roasted garlic, and white pepper), sourdough french bread
with mickey-mouse shaped butter, and mushrooms sauteed in chardonnay.
Cinderella throws a mean feast! And my husband got quite used to being
called "Sire".  It truly broke my heart to have the leftovers thrown away
(no fridge in the room, y'see). Heaven, I'm in Heaven, and my heart beats so
that I can hardly speak.......

But I digress... the topic is taste-testing. My unfortunate and picky family
are my guinea pigs. They have the good humor necessary for the task ("you
want me to eat that gunk? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" :) Recent experiements: An
Aple Moyse recipe that had pears in it (leftovers requested in the luch
box....shhh don't tell the teacher there's wine in it), and another truly
wonderful (but not SCAdian or necessarily period) recipe for fresh pea soup
with mint, that I couldn't keep away from and they hated. That one I found
curious, since I hate dried legumes, and they demand them frequently. Go
figure. And then again, we have our semi-monthly redaction parties, where
important recipes (in the feast line-up for events) are redacted in teams
and then we all sit down to taste. The biggest problem? We redacted 2
recipes for game pies, and they were both good. The concensus was that we
had to make BOTH for the feast. So, we'll be holding a game pie lottery I
guess.....some folks will get the lemon & pepper version and some folks will
get the claret and bay version.

Aoife....
Looking for those other (galingale) recipes, honest folks.