SC - butter

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Sat May 17 14:47:01 PDT 1997

On Friday, May 16, Lord Ras said:

<< Why?  I have seen several very late period/just post-period meat pie
recipes
 calling for the use of butter as a filler.  >>

I agree that there are recipes that are LATE period that call for butter and
even very RARELY a mid-period recipe lists "boter" as an ingredient. However,
butter was not NORMALLY consumed. It was considered medicinal (to cover
wounds, salve base, etc.) until rather recent times. Whish IMHO puts it in
the same category as potatos, tomatos and other late period dietary
introductions.

Lord Ras

It was my understanding that butter was eaten by the lower classes but not
by the upper but I don't have referances to back this up. Anyone else know?
Lord Ras, is it possible that the sources you have been looking at are
primarily just for the upper class and thus would miss the use of butter by
other classes in/on food?

I remember some arguments in previous years on whether "honey butter" was
period at all. If even "herb butter" and butter were not period, what was
eaten on bread? Anything?

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com