SC - Curry Powder- Off topic

linneah at erols.com linneah at erols.com
Sat May 17 18:43:54 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << A novice might also try to resist the tendency to use the same
> combinations of
>  spices all the time.  The problem with today's "Curry Powder",  >>
>
> What India type recipes do you use? My cookbooks on India cooking include
> scads  o' spice combinations in each recipe, each slightly different than the
> other. No where is the abomination called "curry powder" mentioned. Curry
> powder is a completely commercial product which bears no ressemblance
> what-so-ever to the flavoring combinations in actual recipes from India.
>
> The word "curry" is a cookery term most often associated with  India cooking
> and , surprise , Jamaican cooking. It ususally connotates a mixture of
> spices, each of which are individually added to the pan and toasted before
> the main ingredients and liquid is added. If anyone is in possession of
> recipes which call for "curry powder" they are in all probability Anglicized
> and have little or no resemblance to the cuisine type to which they may be
> ascribed. One of my visions of what hell would be like, if I believed in such
> a place, would be they Demon Curry Powder rearing it's ugly and disgusting
> head from each dish I went to taste. Yuck!!!!!!!!
>
> Sorry for the rant, haven't had my morning coffee yet, please except my
> apology......
>
> Lord Ras al Zib, AoA, OSyc
> E-mail- Uduido at aol.com.

My Lord, no apology is necessary.  This is just the point I was trying to make.
When one uses a standardized mix of spices - such as curry powder - one cannot
expect dishes to taste as well as if one had mixed one's own spice combination
unique to each dish.  I was responding to the person who had asked for typical
spice/herb combinations and wanted to discourage anyone from creating one
mix and using it in everything.

Linneah