SC - Edible Flowers

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Mon May 19 09:23:00 PDT 1997

> Hello all.

<snip>

> These are the ones I know of, and I realize that they must be completely
> organicaly (?) grown to be truely edible:
>
> Rose
> Pink
> Marigold
> Nasturtium
> Dandelion
> Violet

Only the blue/purple violet flowers are safe to eat.  Don't eat white or pink
violets.

> strawberry
> The flowers of edible herbs

Be wary of the last.  Not all parts of any plant are safe for consumption; for
example, the root of the potato plant is edible but the remainder of it is
not.  I believe the fruit of the tomato is safe, but the remainder of the
plant is not (I could be misremembering).

> What else can I add to the list?

Prim rose was eaten in period.

> Aoife, dying for an excuse to buy more plants

Derdriu
(who has this silly idea that all gardeners and period cooks would benefit
from having several herbals just lying around)

- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com